Triage RN-Multiple Openings for Rockland and Orange Counties
Part-Time, Weekend RN Position
United Hospice is a community-based, not-for-profit hospice that provides care and support to thousands of your neighbors, colleagues and friends in Rockland and Orange County, New York.
United Hospice envisions a community in which all individuals and their loved ones facing serious illness retain their dignity and hope while receiving the best care and support that hospice has to offer. We are currently seeking to fill the following position:
Title: RN- Triage Nurse (Weekends)
Location: Orange County and Rockland County, New York
Schedule: Saturday and Sunday
8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
- Actively participates in coordination of all aspects of patient's care in accordance with current professional standards and practice.
- In accordance with United Hospice policy, provides in-home visits throughout shift.
- Provides for the physical care of the patient, if needed during a nursing visit.
- Develops and evaluates Patient Plan of Care, documenting in EMR.
- Carries out a variety of treatments, procedures, and examinations.
- Assesses and implements appropriate response to situations in a timely manner.
- Contributes to patient and family counseling and education.
- Obtains necessary doctor's orders before administering care.
- Performs procedures within the scope of nursing practice as ordered by the primary physician.
- As needed, provides written instruction, demonstrates care, and assists the Home Health Aide (HHA) during in-home visits.
- Provides support at time of death.
- Triage calls from patient and their family.
- Within three (3) years of hire, will sit for and must pass the Hospice and Palliative Care Nursing Certification Exam.
- Follows-up with and documents each call pertaining to requests for Information or referral to Hospice.
- Follows the intake process for all referrals, including scheduling an evaluation.
- Reviews the admission schedule, makes appointments accordingly and communicates with the Intake/Help Desk staff as needed.
- Arranges for transportation services and any Durable Medical Equipment as needed.
- Fields all calls from patients regarding concerns, issues, or complaints. Documents details and communicates each in writing, to both Manager Performance Improvement and Director of Clinical Services for handling and follow-up.
- Communicates with Administrator On-Call (AOC) to assist in prioritizing or managing emergencies as-needed.
- Participates in and remains compliant with, all required QAPI program and hospice sponsored in-service training.
- Incorporates organization’s commitment to customer service and continuous quality improvement into daily work habits.
- Communicates all pertinent issues to the Assistant Director of Nursing Services.
- Accepts additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Professional Registered Nurse license to practice in New York State is required.
- Minimum of two years recent nursing experience in either hospice or hospital-based med/surg unit is required.
- Experience caring for terminally ill patients, home care, hospice and/or oncology preferred.
- An understanding and commitment to the hospice concept.
- Must possess strong clinical skills, with a working knowledge of medications, treatments and therapies for pain and symptom control.
- Ability to assess the needs of terminally ill patients to meet patient’s respective needs and establish Plan of Care.
- Exceptional listening and communication skills.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently and respond appropriately in crisis-oriented situations.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and EMRs.
- Familiarity with medical software and equipment
- Ability to embrace cultural diversity with patient population and workforce with positive service delivery outcomes.
- Ability to manage many projects simultaneously and to reprioritize as needed.
- Valid NYS/NJ Driver’s License.
- Daily access to an automobile to be able to visit patients is required.
This is a part time position and is not benefits eligible.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
United Hospice is an Equal Opportunity Employer