United Hospice is a community-based, not-for-profit hospice, that provides care and support to thousands of your neighbors, colleagues and friends in Rockland and Orange County, New York.
United Hospice envisions a community in which all individuals and their loved ones facing serious illness retain their dignity and hope while receiving the best care and support that hospice has to offer. We are currently seeking to fill the following position:
Title: Bereavement Counselor
Location Orange County, New York
Schedule: Day Shift (includes weekend rotations)
· Master’s degree from an accredited graduate school in either Social Work, Marriage & Family Counseling, Mental Health Counseling, or other applicable degree.
· LMSW or LCSW required. Must be licensed by the State of New York.
· Must have at least two years (within the past five years) of supervised experience in family, individual and group therapy.
· Prior professional experience with loss and grief and thorough knowledge of the dynamics of loss and grief. Familiarity with hospice concept and its implementation.
· Able to work independently, demonstrated care planning ability teach skills and strong communication skills (written, verbal and listening).
· Ability to relate to a diverse population and workforce in a personable and effective manner.
· Association for Death Education and Counseling (ADEC) Certification desirable.
· Must have home internet and email access and be proficient in Microsoft Windows.
· Must possess car, valid driver's license and current insurance.
· Participates in interdisciplinary (IDT) meetings to identify high risk clients, establish initial plan of care and exchange information.
· Provides bereavement counseling, support, and education for hospice family.
members/significant others and community bereavement including children and teens.
· Responds to emergent situations in which bereavement counseling is needed.
· Develops and presents bereavement related programming in request to community and program needs.
· Conducts bereavement assessments in efficient and timely manner.
· Documents interventions in the electronic record in accordance with UH policy.
· Completes documentation by the end of the day for patients seen that day.
· Leads bereavement support groups for adults and children.
· Assists in training, assignment, and management of bereavement volunteers.
· Identifies needs for bereavement materials that need to be purchased.
· Provides supervision of graduate level students.
· Contributes articles to newsletters.
· Takes referral and registration for bereavement groups and collects fees when applicable.
· Accepts additional responsibilities as assigned.
· Participates in QAPI program and hospice sponsored in-service training.
· Incorporates organization’s commitment to customer service and continuous quality improvement into daily work habits. This includes promoting positive co-worker and teamwork relationships and supporting the goals and mission as set forth by the agency.
This is a full-time position and benefits eligible
Cover letter and resume may be submitted to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
United Hospice is an Equal Opportunity Employer